Friday, October 6, 2017

Raincoast Books Winter/Spring 2018 preview


I always look forward to Raincoast Books blogger previews. They always offer a fun bookish afternoon. They manage to make you feel like you were in attendance even when you're participating online.

This year had a great line up of books that were discussed including the following (including some notes on the ones that caught my eye):

Busted by Gina Ciocca (goodreads)

This immediately caught my attention because it was called Veronica Mars meets Ten Things I Hate About You. Sounds fun! 

Reign The Earth by AC Gaughen (goodreads)
Between The Blade and the Heart by Amanda Hocking (goodreads)
Before I Let Go by Marieke Nijkamp (goodreads)
Let's Talk About Love by Claire Kann (goodreads)

This has a fantastic cover, and sounds like a good choice for those who love contemporary books. It has an asexual main character who works in a library. 

The Hazel Wood by Melissa Albert (goodreads)
You Will Be Mine by Natasha Preston (goodreads)

A Valentine's Day set read that is scary instead of romantic. A group of friends decide to play pranks on each other instead of celebrating Valentine's Day. It takes a deadly turn when they start to receive letters from a secret admirer. 

Speak: The Graphic Novel by Laurie Halse Anderson/illustrated by Emily Carroll (goodreads)
Your One and Only by Adrianne Finlay (goodreads)
Broken Beautiful Hearts by Kami Garcia (goodreads)
A Girl Like That by Tanaz Bhathena (goodreads)

The more I hear about this book the more excited I am to read it. I am thrilled it is going to be part of my 2018 Most Anticipated event and cannot wait to talk more about it. 

Children Of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi (goodreads)
Brazen by Penelope Bagieu (goodreads)
In Search Of by Ava Dellaira (goodreads)

One of my personal must reads from this event. I loved Love Letters To The Dead and cannot wait to see what Ava has written next. 

Time Bomb by Joelle Charbonneau (goodreads)
Miles Away From You by AB Rutledge (goodreads)
Zombie Abbey by Lauren Baratz-Logsted (goodreads)

Downton Abbey with zombies is how this was pitched. It sounds like a ton of fun and, surprising, seems to include a lot of romance from the description given. 

As She Fades by Abbi Glines (goodreads)
Suitors and Sabotage by Cindy Anstey (goodreads)
Brightly Burning by Alexa Donne (goodreads)

Jane Eyre set in space. That is all. 

How I Resist by Tim Frederle and Maureen Johnson (goodreads)
Girl Made Of Stars by Ashley Herring Blake (goodreads)
Furyborn by Claire LeGrand (goodreads)
The Universe Is Expanding And So Am I by Carolyn Mackler (goodreads)
Under The Same Stars by Rose Christo (goodreads)

I had never heard of the My Immortal fanfiction before. It was brought to my attention thanks to this book deal announcement. I, sadly, think this one has been cancelled since the Raincoast event but included it as it was discussed. 

They also spent some time discussing some upcoming sequels that people are highly anticipating. These included:

Sightwitch by Susan Dennard (goodreads)
Wires and Nerve, Volume 2 by Marissa Meyer/illustrated by Stephen Gilpin (goodreads)
The Greed by Scott Bergstrom (goodreads)
Shadowsong by S. Jae-Jones (goodreads)
To Right The Wrongs by Sheryl Scarborough (goodreads)
The Heart Forger by Rin Chupeco (goodreads)
Circle Unbroken by Zoraida Cordova (goodreads)
A Court Of Thorns And Roses novella by Sarah J Maas (goodreads)
True Storm by L.E. Sterling (goodreads)
The Edge Of Everything 2 by Jeff Giles (goodreads)

There were also some middle grade novels that were presented that sounded perfect for young readers in your life (or fans of middle grade reads in general). There are a few that I think my nieces would be totally interested in. The ones discussed are:

Snow Lane by Josie Angelini (goodreads)
Shadow Weaver by MarcyKate Connolly (goodreads)
Playing Atari With Saddam Hussein by Jennifer Roy and Ali Fadhil (goodreads)
The Language Of Spells by Garret Weyr/illustred by Katie Harnett (goodreads)
Be Prepared by Vera Brosgol (goodreads)

Lastly, they had Lianne Oelke come discuss her novel Nice Try, Jane Sinner! It was great to hear her discussed the process of writing this book, and share some of her experience getting it published.

Nice Try, Jane Sinner by Lianne Oelke (goodreads)

Raincoast also always sends a fun swag pack as part of their preview. Included in mine were one of my most anticipated reads of this preview and a book that sounds pretty intriguing.


In Search Of by Ava Dellaira (goodreads)
#Prettyboy Must Die by Kimberly Reid (goodreads)

I also loved the inclusion of some pins for Marrisa Meyers new novel, Renegades. I am so excited to read both of these books. You can expect review of them next year as we get closer to release.

A huge thank you to Raincoast Books for the invite, and for the review copies. I look forward to the next one!

Which of these books are on your own must read lists? Any catch your eye? Let me know in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...