Thursday, June 8, 2017

Book Expo 2017 recap




I was fortunate to travel to New York City for Book Expo again this year. There is something special about having the event in New York. It's the heart of publishing. There is a buzz that, for me, is unlike any other book event I've attended. 

Part of the appeal of Book Expo is the feeling you get being surrounded by fellow book nerds. There is something so welcoming and energizing about getting to talk about the books you love with people who totally understand your passion. The exhibit hall floor is pretty much heaven for book lovers and a large part of that is being surrounded by like minded people. This, for me, is the main reason I attend the event.

entering the exhibit hall 

It is a great opportunity to network and see what the publishers are excited about for the upcoming seasons.

There were plenty of changes this year from the previous years I attended.


The main changes were mainly to security at the event. We're typically allowed to line up inside the Javits Centre while we wait for the event to open. This year, however, they had us line up outside the convention centre. The overall increase in security was certainly welcome, even if it did cause a bit of confusion on the first day. Having new processes in place always comes with a few snags and this was no exception. I was, however, impressed ith how things were handled overall.

I found that the signing lines, both in booth and in the autographing area, were handled rather well. There was a definite improvement from previous years. It also felt like attendance might be lower which lead to more manageable lines. The only slight hiccup was Leigh Bardugo's Wonder Woman signing. Penguin Random House handled it extremely well and ended up ensuring the potential chaos remained controlled. It feels like they are learning to manage things better, and that can only mean good things for future years.

There is usually a trend that is noticeable at Book Expo. A certain genre of book tends to be in abundance depending on what seems to be riding a wave of popularity. This year was noticeably different with the publishers offering a wider variety of genres and authors. No matter your particular taste in books there was something to be found for everyone it seemed. This also made schedules easier to manage and had the added bonus of people discovering titles they may not have previously. I, personally, hope this trend continues and we continue to see a wide range of books being promoted at Book Expo. It feels more in line with the spirit of the event.

I had two titles I was especially excited to learn more about at the event and I was thrilled to discover they would both be given out at the convention. 


I had been excited about Krysten Ritter's Bonfire since it was announced. There is a mystery element to it that immediately piqued my interest. I got to chat with the lovely people at the Penguin Random House booth and was assured that it was gripping and the type of novel you read in one sitting.

I also had the honour of speaking with Stephanie Perkins' editor Julie Strauss-Gabel about There's Someone Inside Your House. She, if possible, made me even more excited about getting the chance to read this one early. She's promised  swoons, lots of blood, plenty of terror, and that classic Stephanie Perkins touch. It sounds like one to not read with the lights on.

My day one haul was filled with some pretty exciting reads that will be featured on the blog in the later part of the year.


Genuine Fraud by E. Lockhart (goodreads)
No Saints In Kansas by Amy Brashear (goodreads)
Mean Girls by Micol Ostow (goodreads)
They Both Die At The End by Adam Silvera (goodreads)
Bonfire by Krysten Ritter (goodreads)
Girls Made of Snow and Glass by Melissa Bashardoust (goodreads)
The Dirty Book Club by Lisi Harrison (goodreads)
The Cruel Prince by Holly Black (goodreads)
The Belles by Dhonielle Clayton (goodreads)

I grabbed The Dirty Book Club after hearing a Simon and Schuster agent talk it up to someone else. It sounds like a fun read.

My day two haul was equally exciting. You can expect to see these promoted on the blog as well.


Mrs was an impulse pick up after the publisher called it this year's Big Little Lies. My interest was immediately piqued. 

There's Someone Inside Your House by Stephanie Perkins (goodreads)
Fireblood by Elly Blake (goodreads)
Brooding YA Hero by Carrie Ann DiRisio (goodreads)
Unearthed by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner (goodreads)
Wonder Woman by Leigh Bardugo (goodreads)
Mrs by Caitlin Macy (goodreads)
I Hate Everyone But You by Gaby Dunn and Allison Raskin (goodreads)

I also snagged a copy of Hunting Prince Dracula. It would have been in my day two haul, BUT it was in its own tote bag and I couldn't find it at the time of the photo so I just took one of it by itself.


Hunting Prince Dracula by Kerri Maniscalco (goodreads)

Outside of the convention I manged to do a few things I was looking forward to as well! I love getting to spend some time in New York and was excited Book Expo was held here again this year.

I scratched something off my bucket when I went to see the Tiffany's they used in the Breakfast at Tiffany's movie. The movie is a classic, and I have always wanted to have a little Holly Golightly moment by 'eating' breakfast at Tiffany's. 


I grabbed a scone and my morning tea and enjoyed a little moment outside the store. It is something I absolutely want to do again with friends. 

I love Shake Shack and it is unfair that we do not have them in Canada. As a result of this, I always make sure to grab food there when I travel for Book Expo.


It is probably better we don't have it here so that I don't have the temptation to eat it all the time, and I think part of its allure is that it is something I really only get once a year.

This year's event, once again, provided fun and excitement. I left exhausted but eager to promote these titles.

To all the publishers, authors, and fellow book industry people who made this year's Book Expo one to remember I say thank you. You make the event as wonder as it is.

Now that I am home and everything is unpacked the only decision left is what book I'll read first (and let's be honest, it's also the hardest decision).

me for the next couple of months

3 comments:

  1. How fun! I was ridiculously happy they had it in Chicago last year because my husband and I can't take too much time off from our jobs, and we were able to just take a day off to go BEA.

    I'm glad other people are happy that it's back in New York though! I'm definitely interested in Girls Made of Snow and Glass -- I hope they have that one at ALA this year.

    Enjoy your new books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had so much fun. Sadly I wasn't able to make the trek down from Montreal.. maybe next year.. I have been going to bea 4x and still have yet to eat at SS next year is a must do..

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely post! I'm glad to hear you had a great time! And oh my gosh....Shake Shack. I used to live in NYC and my roommates and I would go there once a month. I miss it so much!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...