Monday, November 30, 2015

2016 Most Anticipated - Unhooked



The next 2016  Most Anticipated selection is one inspired by one of my favourite stories. It involves pirates, fairies and a boy who did not want to grow up.


This Goodreads synopsis makes it clear we're not dealing with Disney's Peter, or it's Neverland. This promises to be DARK, DARK, DARK!
For as long as she can remember, Gwendolyn Allister has never had a place to call home—all because her mother believes that monsters are hunting them. Now these delusions have brought them to London, far from the life Gwen had finally started to build for herself. The only saving grace is her best friend, Olivia, who’s coming with them for the summer.

But when Gwen and Olivia are kidnapped by shadowy creatures and taken to a world of flesh-eating sea hags and dangerous Fey, Gwen realizes her mom might have been sane all along.

The world Gwen finds herself in is called Neverland, yet it’s nothing like the stories. Here, good and evil lose their meaning and memories slip like water through her fingers. As Gwen struggles to remember where she came from and find a way home, she must choose between trusting the charming fairy-tale hero who says all the right things and the roguish young pirate who promises to keep her safe.

With time running out and her enemies closing in, Gwen is forced to face the truths she’s been hiding from all along. But will she be able to save Neverland without losing herself?
While Peter as the villain is all the rage right now, I am hoping this offers up a unique twist on the tale, and the character. It certainly grabbed my attention and I cannot wait to read it.

Lisa answered a few questions about the book, shared some inspiration behind it, and offers a peek at the first line of the story!

1 Twitter pitch Unhooked (140 characters or less).

A stolen girl, a pirate w/ nothing left to lose, & a fairytale hero w/ a dark twist. Sometimes, there's nothing more dangerous than a story.

2 If someone were to make a signature drink in honour of your book, what might be included?

Absinthe

3 Let us in on one secret about one of your characters, or the world they inhabit.

I chose my MC’s last name, Allister, because it’s Gaelic for “defender of man."

4 Unhooked takes inspiration from Peter Pan. What about the classic tale inspired you to write this story?

Captain Hook— I wanted to write a pirate book, but I didn’t want to write a historical. I was tossing around different ideas when I came across Peter Pan, and once I actually read J.M. Barrie’s original novel, I was struck with just how wrong all of our popular versions of the story are. It’s a really dark story, and while Neverland is definitely fantastical, it’s also a scary place. I wanted to go back to that original sense—the danger mixed with the fantastic nature of the island.

5 If you could travel to anywhere, in any time period, when and where would you want travel?

1920s Paris. I want to hang out with Hem and the gang.

6 What 2016 release are you most anticipating?

Definitely THE RAVEN KING. Though I know she’s probably going to kill Gansey and break my heart.

7. If not too spoilery, can you share the first line of Unhooked.

Outside the rain-splattered window of the taxi, London looks like its dressed for a funeral

I agree. Neverland really does lend itself to a darker story! I cannot wait to see what Lisa does with all the characters and the setting. Here's hoping for a little romance as well.

Unhooked releases February 2, 2016 and can be pre-ordered right now from any retailer.


You can also follow Lisa on Twitter, visit her official website, and find out more about her books on the publisher website.

Be sure to stop by tomorrow to find out the next book that made this year's list!

Do you love retelling of classic tales? What do you think makes them work? Let me know in the comments.

1 comment:

  1. Added to my TBR! It looks good :) I've read retellings of fairy tales but have never read a retelling of Peter Pan. Looking forward to it! Thanks for the introduction, Kathy

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...