Friday, November 20, 2015

2016 Most Anticipated - Teen Frankenstein



It probably comes as no surprise that I am into Frankenstein. I also will immediately devour any retellings that catch my attention. My next 2016 Most Anticipated selection takes the Gothic Horror classic and sets it in a highschool... and has a female in the role of creator. SIGN ME UP, IMMEDIATELY.


A female 'Victor'!! So excited by this. I cannot wait to see how delightfully scary this read is. I've already heard good things, but check out this amazing Goodreads synopsis
High school meets classic horror in this groundbreaking new series.

It was a dark and stormy night when Tor Frankenstein accidentally hit someone with her car. And killed him. But all is not lost--Tor, being the scientific genius she is, brings him back to life...

Thus begins a twisty, turn-y take on a familiar tale, set in the town of Hollow Pines, Texas, where high school is truly horrifying.
This is supposed to be the start of a series set in Hallow Pines, and filled with all the characters from classic Gothic Horror novels. I am impatiently waiting for her twist on Dracula!

Chandler kindly answered some questions about the book for me as part of the event.

1 Describe Teen Frankenstein using only three words.

I'll cheat and use a contraction: Who's the monster

2 If someone were to make a signature ice cream in honour of your book, what might be included? 

It'd have to start with a mint Blue Bell base because--hello, Texas and green--and add some gummy worms because of...death.

3 Let us in on one secret about one of your characters, or the world they inhabit.

Bert is the name of my main character's car, a forest green Grand Marquis, and it's based off of my best friend in high school's car, also named Bert--we had a lot of great times driving around in that car and I knew I had to pay it homage.

4 Your novel is inspired by Frankenstein. What about the classic tale inspired you to write this particular story? 

I knew I wanted to do a gender-flip. Maybe this is bad to say, but I really related to the ambition of Dr. Frankenstein in the original. It's my sense that we're more comfortable with men sacrificing for their art or career aspirations. It's okay for men to become rude, hermit, curmudgeons in the name of their art--I'd even argue it's a badge of honor (for better or worse). I related to the single-mindedness that I sometimes wish I could have over my writing. The main character, Tor, sees science as her art and pursues greatness in it unapologetically.

5 If you could travel to anywhere, in any time period, when and where would you want travel? 

I'll go with the Midwest in the 1950s. It seems like a very cool time to be a teen--or maybe I'm just craving a soda shoppe milkshake.

6 What 2016 release are you most anticipating? 

After the Woods by Kim Savage!

7. If not too spoilery, can you share the first line of Teen Frankenstein.

Yesterday I didn't win a Nobel Prize.

Same here, Tor. I did not win one either. My nieces would be ALL over that ice cream, and HECK YES to everything she said about being unapologetic about pursuing something.

Teen Frankenstein releases January 12, 2016 and can be pre-ordered right now from any retailer.


You can also follow Chandler on Twitter, visit her website, and find out more about her books on the publisher website.

Be sure to stop by to find out the next book that made this year's list!

Are you a fan of the classic Gothic Horror novels? Are you as excited for this new series as I am? Let me know in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...