Monday, December 15, 2014

2015 Most Anticipated - From Vikki @ Penguin



Today I have the lovely Vikki from Penguin Canada stopping by to share some of her 2015 Most Anticipated titles. There is a little something for everyone here so I am pretty sure you'll be adding at least one of these to your wish list in the new year.

In the midst of all the 2014 best of lists, I’m already looking ahead to the next year in books and getting excited to share some of my most anticipated reads. First up is ROLLER GIRL. Remember the movie Whip It, in which Ellen Page learns all about life, love and girl power when she joins a roller derby team? Take that premise, make it age appropriate for a 10 year old, and then give it a bright, graphic novel treatment and you have one of my most anticipated middle grade reads of 2015. Middle grade graphic novels with female protagonists are having a moment, given the popularity of Raina Telgemeier’s SMILE, DRAMA, and SISTERs, the GG-award winning THIS ONE SUMMER by Jillian and Mariko Tamaki, and 2014 favourite, EL DEAFO by Cece Bell. ROLLER GIRL is about the time in your life where you realize that maybe you and your best friend have different interests, and that it’s okay to branch out. It’s also about tenacity, female empowerment, and the importance of a good roller derby name. Mine would totally be Alice Munroad-Kill.

I’m also pumped about Susan Juby’s return to contemporary YA fiction. I could not be more exited for THE TRUTH COMMISSION, the very funny, often gut-wrenching story of Nanaimo-based art student Normandy Pale. The story is presented as Norm’s final assignment for creative writing and Juby has a lot of fun with footnotes, illustration, and asides. Fans of Maria Semple’s WHERE’D YOU GO BERNADETTE and E. Lockhart’s THE DISREPUTABLE HISTORY OF FRANKIE LANDAU BANKS will appreciate Juby’s dry sense of humour, vivid characters and deft handling of moral ambiguity.

Fans of breakout fantasy hit THE GLASS SENTENCE by S.E. Grove will be happy to know that the follow-up book, THE GOLDEN SPECIFIC, is just as rich with unique maps, secrets, and adventure as the first book, and those of you who like your historical fiction steamy with a side of feminism will love MAD MISS MIMIC from debut Canadian author Sarah Henstra.

I want to thank Vikki for taking the time to write up this post for me. 

Any Penguin titles you're dying to read in 2015? Let me know in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...