Monday, January 13, 2014

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater


Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater
Release Date – August 1, 2009
Publisher Website –  Scholastic
Publisher Social Media - Twitter
Pages - 300 pages
My Rating - 4/5
**received as a gift**

Here is the Goodreads synopsis
For years, Grace has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf—her wolf—is a chilling presence she can't seem to live without.

Meanwhile, Sam has lived two lives: In winter, the frozen woods, the protection of the pack, and the silent company of a fearless girl. In summer, a few precious months of being human… until the cold makes him shift back again.

Now, Grace meets a yellow-eyed boy whose familiarity takes her breath away. It's her wolf. It has to be. But as winter nears, Sam must fight to stay human—or risk losing himself, and Grace, forever
Werewolf mythology is often hit or miss with me. I either don't feel immersed into it, or it's not fleshed out enough for me. Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver introduces what is not only my favourite twist on the mythology to date, but a subtly sensual approach to it as well.

The cold creeps through these pages. Like a thief, it steals moments Sam should have. It steals breaths and it will ultimately steal what is left of Sam's human life. It's an ever present thing that is never far from the minds of the characters (or readers). It creates a knife's edge that the characters are balancing on. Maggie Stiefvater uses words to allow her readers to feel the chill. There plenty of shivers for both the characters and reader.

The stakes are high for Sam and Grace. Their carefully concealed truth could come crashing down on them at any minute. There are outside threats that could tear them apart. The cold is perhaps their most pressing threat though. Sam could turn and leave Grace behind until summer.....if he comes back at all. The nagging worry that Sam's time as a human is limited tore my heart to bits, as you just want what Sam wants - for him to remain human. It creates a boiling urgency that can't be ignored .The inclusion of the temperature at the beginning of the chapters only increased my distress as we see it crawl slowly lower.

There is an instant ease that Grace and Sam have with each other. They are on the same wavelength immediately. It's like a puzzle piece falling into place. It's one of the rare occasions where this type of connection doesn't feel rushed or forced. Sam and Grace just feel right. They intersperse light moments that make the relationship feel developed, even though it does happen rather quickly. It might be helped that both Grace and Sam are wonderful. Sam is one of the best love interests I've read. He's flirty but respectful. He's concerned without being over protective. Grace is determined, wistful, and a bit of a dreamer. She's fascinated and pulled to the wolves in a way that she can't explain. They mesh well together, and make you want them to be together.

Maggie Stiefvater has a way with language and words. Her writing is compelling and captivating. This novel is no exception. Her writing is the showcase, but she uses it to bring her characters and the setting to life in the pages. She manages to make the characters feel fleshed out, even the secondary characters. The woods add mystery to the wolves, and the setting. It's all woven together to create something I couldn't read fast enough.

A novel that allows it's characters to be the focus, even while the high stakes action takes place. Shiver is a thrilling start to a series and I can't wait to immerse myself back into this world.

2 comments:

  1. Of course you can't Because book #2 features COLE! He's a little rough around the edges at first. Give him time :) And then be overjoyed that Maggie is apparently releasing another book featuring Cole and Isabel in 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book as much as you did but I'm hesitant to read Linger because I tried to read it and I do not like Isabel and Cole's characters as much as Sam and Grace. But I'm glad you liked it :) If you would like to see my review, the link is here: http://abookparadise.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/shiver-review.html. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your review :D Great Job and have a nice day xx Much Love, Tanya x

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...