Monday, April 1, 2013

Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare



Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare
Release Date – March 19, 2013
Publisher Website - Simon and Schuster
Publisher Social Media -  Twitter
Pages -  568 pages
My Rating- 5/5
**Purchased**

**Slight Spoilers! Read Only If You've Read Clockwork Princess (just in case)**

Here is the Goodreads synopsis
Danger and betrayal, secrets and enchantment in the breathtaking conclusion to the Infernal Devices trilogy

Tessa Gray should be happy - aren't all brides happy?

Yet as she prepares for her wedding, a net of shadows begins to tighten around the Shadowhunters of the London Institute.

A new demon appears, one linked by blood and secrecy to Mortmain, the man who plans to use his army of pitiless automatons, the Infernal Devices, to destroy the Shadowhunters. Mortmain needs only one last item to complete his plan. He needs Tessa. And Jem and Will, the boys who lay equal claim to Tessa's heart, will do anything to save her.
Saying goodbye to a beloved series is hard. It’s even harder when the last book in the series doesn’t end in a fitting manner. I am happy to say that Clockwork Princess not only provided an immensely enjoyable read but ended the series in the most perfect, achingly beautiful, and heart crushing way.

Finding out what exactly Tessa’s background is provided a satisfying answer that illuminates other things. Smaller questions like the origins of Isabelle’s ruby necklace, and Church’s migration to New York are also answered. It’s these little overlaps that make both the Mortal Instruments, and Infernal Devices that much richer.

The romance is what a lot of people will talk about, and yes, it is swoon worthy and sigh inducing. I, however, find the bond between Will and Jem just as touching. These parabati care about each other in a way that is true, and tangible. From the moment Will agrees to train with Jem theirs is a friendship that saves each other. It’s never been more evident than in this chapter of their story exactly what being a parabati means, and the scars it can leave.

The triangle of Will, Jem and Tessa is unique. I’ve never read a triangle where all three members cared so much about each other. Each of them puts the happiness of the other two above everything. If this were a different kind of novel I would have no problem with all three of them heading off into the sunset together. Regardless of what “team” you may support I think you’ll come away with the novel contented with the ending. I feel it could not have ended any other way. The feelings of all involved are so unselfish, and so understand that it is almost crushing. They are each willing to sacrifice their own happiness if it means the other two would find it for themselves.

Tessa’s decisions are not easy ones, but ultimately the decisions she makes are hers. She chooses what will make her happy. She chooses love, embracing all that comes with it. The entire notion of love is such a large part of this series. The ups, downs, heartbreak, giddiness, and rush that comes with it. Choosing to try again after crushing loss, and believing that love can bring you happiness is an admirable quality and one of the many reasons I adore Tessa as a character.

In my opinion there can never be enough Magnus Bane in these novels. I felt this one did not have as much of him as I would have liked. However, his time with Tessa is especially poignant and shows the toll being immortal can take on someone. Tessa and Magnus will both see many loved ones age and die, and this is something Magnus is already coming to terms with. It made me look at his relationship with Alec in a new light. It made it seem like opening their hearts to someone mortal, even if just as friendship, was a act of bravery. To know that you would eventually lose them, but still choose to love, instead of protecting yourself is not only brave, but admirable.

Much will be said about the epilogue and I have a feeling it'll be polarizing. I foresee it being a love or hate scenario. I also think it'll come down to which 'team' you are on. I, personally, feel at peace with it, simply because of how it ties the series together. Loving different people at various times in your life is possible. You love them in different ways, but the act of moving on doesn't diminish the previous love.

A fitting, bittersweet ending to a series that I have fallen in love with. The characters touched me, and while it tore my heart to shreds, it had the only possible outcome for everyone involved. It answered the questions I had, and left the characters in a place that even if it wasn’t what I wanted for them, it was one I could understand and be content with.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...