Monday, February 4, 2013

Scarlet by Marissa Meyer



Scarlet by Marissa Meyer
Release Date –  February 5, 2013
Publisher Website - Fewiel and Friends/Raincoast Books Canada
Publisher Social Media -  Twitter
Pages -   454 pages
My Rating- 4.5/5
**Received from publisher for review**

Here is the Goodreads synopsis
Cinder returns in the second thrilling installment of the New York Times-bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She’s trying to break out of prison—even though if she succeeds, she’ll be the Commonwealth’s most wanted fugitive. 
Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit’s grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn’t know about her grandmother and the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother’s whereabouts, she has no choice but to trust him, though he clearly has a few dark secrets of his own. 
As Scarlet and Wolf work to unravel one mystery, they find another when they cross paths with Cinder. Together, they must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen who will do anything to make Prince Kai her husband, her king, her prisoner.
Marissa Meyer has done it again. She’s woven an enchanting fairytale that is rich in characters, and detail. She’s taken the Little Red Riding Hood tale and created something fun, and different. Part mystery, and filled with wonderful dialogue. I found myself liking this second instalment even more than Cinder.

Scarlet Benoit is to this novel what Cinder was to the first. She’s our heroine. She’s a spunky, clever, red hoodie wearing firecracker and I adored  her. Her voice is so distinct. Her quirks and habits are completely her own. Comparing her to Cinder is pointless because they are so different.

Wolf with his disheveled good looks(the better to make you swoon with) immediately piqued my interest. This is a character who spends most of the book in shades of grey. Should Scarlet trust him? Should the reader? What are his motives? I love that Marissa doesn’t have an easy answer for us. His character shows that actions speak louder than words, and I am waiting to see what he’ll do next. The mystery mainly revolves around him and what secrets he may be hiding, and unraveling them is part of the charm of this novel.

Another new character is Captain Thorne. Charming, funny, and good-looking. I love him for providing light, humorous moments. I love his banter with Cinder. I predict many readers will fall for this good natured Captain and his many charms.

The characters in the Lunar Chronicles are all amazing. They are written in such a way that each feels authentic and like they have their own voice. It’s the subtle differences that set them apart, and what makes Meyer’s novels so refreshing. Her characters seem like they drive the plot, rather than having the plot happen to them.

Cinder, Kai, and the rest of the beloved characters from the first book are in this novel. It was wonderful to continue on their journey and seeing them interact with new characters shed new light on them. As the plot moves forward, toward what can only be a war, it’s these characters that have me worried about the outcome. I’ve come to care about them, and we are still a long way off from happily ever after.

The way Scarlet and Cinder’s stories finally interconnect shows the amount of plotting, and preparation Marissa Meyer has done. It’s seamless. The ending, where we have a common goal being revealed, sent delightful shivers up my spine. This world is enormous and we are about to follow our beloved characters on a journey to somewhere I am very excited about.

The fun, and endearing tone and feel of the novel appeal to me as well. It really is a nod to the classic fairytales in every sense. They’re mostly feel good books, with lots of action and romance thrown in.

A magical retelling that interweaves with Cinder masterfully. A fairytale that will appeal to many readers, and will sweep you away. If you liked Cinder, I can happily say that you’ll fall in love with Scarlet too.

2 comments:

  1. I loved Cinder and can't wait to read Scarlet. I agree with you that the characters are amazing. If that's the same in book 2 (or even better!) than there's nothing that can go wrong! Thanks for the awesome review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Cinder so much - my husband just ordered Scarlet for me and should be here around Saturday. Needless to say, my weekend will be spent immersed in this great story-world!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...