Thursday, June 7, 2012

Timepiece by Myra McEntire




Timepiece by Myra McEntire
Release Date –  June 12, 2012
Publisher Website –  Egmont USA
Publisher Social Media -  Twitter
Pages -  336 pages
My Rating- 4/5
**received for an honest review from publisher/Netgalley**

Here is the Goodreads synopsis
A threat from the past could destroy the future. And the clock is ticking... 
Kaleb Ballard's relentless flirting is interrupted when Jack Landers, the man who tried to murder his father, timeslips in and attacks before disappearing just as quickly. But Kaleb has never before been able to see time travelers, unlike many of his friends associated with the mysterious Hourglass organization. Are Kaleb's powers expanding, or is something very wrong? 
Then the Hourglass is issued an ultimatum. Either they find Jack and the research he's stolen on the time gene, or time will be altered with devastating results.  
Now Kaleb, Emerson, Michael, and the other Hourglass recruits have no choice but to use their unusual powers to find Jack. But where do they even start? And when? And even if they succeed, it may not be enough... 
The follow-up to Hourglass, Timepiece blends the paranormal, science fiction, mystery, and suspense genres into a nonstop thrill ride where every second counts.
Intense. Funny. Page Turner. These are just some of the words I could use to describe Timepiece by Myra McEntire. This follow up to Hourglass takes place shortly after Hourglass ends and sends Emerson, Michael and the rest on a whirlwind race to prevent a disastrous outcome to a stacked ultimatum.

Fans of Myra’s writing in the first novel will be happy to hear that it’s just as great in Timepiece. She’s created an engrossing novel that is a rather quick read. It feels very polished and follows really well from chapter to chapter. The use of small cliffhangers at the end of the chapters made me eager to keep turning the pages.

The story is entirely from Kaleb’s point of view. I fell for his charm, quick wit, and was delighted to find much more to his character. His self assured attitude hides a lot, and it was nice getting to see things from his perspective. I found myself chuckling at a lot of things Kaleb thought, even though there is sadness to him that we get to glimpse under the bravado. This may not have come through without his perspective. I loved his banter with Lily (Emerson’s friend). They play off each other, and the sparks between them make sense. I fully enjoyed getting to learn more about Lily, and seeing her become a larger part of the story.

I didn’t find myself missing Emerson as much as I expected to. She and Michael are still very much a part of this story. Getting to see Michael and Emerson thorough Kaleb’s point of view was interesting. I liked getting to see their connection and actions through the perspective of someone else. It provided an outlook I didn’t think we’d get as I expected the novels to continue with Emerson’s point of view.

It sometimes feels like, with series, that a two book plot is being dragged out to make three. Timepiece avoids this issue. In book one we are introduced to the inner workings of Hourglass, and the complexities of time travel and its repercussions. In Timepiece we are shown that this world is much larger, has more depth, and is more calculated that we could have imagined. The mythology evolved and I was so glad to learn some of the character’s secrets.

With the introduction of the Infinityglass Myra has created a mythology that easily lends itself to more novels in this series. The story is just beginning, the stakes are about to get higher, and time is ticking on our beloved characters. I am looking forward to getting to know whoever narrates the next installment and hope to love them as much as I ended up loving Kaleb.

4 comments:

  1. great review
    i recently read Hourglass and instantly loved it...eagerly awaiting this book (feel so stupid for missing my chance to ask for it on netgalley)

    Le' Grande Codex

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need this book!

    Thank you for the review.
    :)

    Becky01x@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited to read this book. I like the idea that is from Kaleb's POV, it will definitely be an interesting change.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this book! This is making my favorite list!! From the very first chapter I was hooked! Of course, I am a sucker for time-travel stories and this one is the best I've read so far! Wow! The plot was so original, intense and enjoyable!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...