Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver


Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver
Release Date – January 28, 2012
Publisher Website –  HarperCollins
Publisher Social Media - Twitter/Facebook/SavvyReader
Pages -  384 pages
My Rating- 9.5/10
**Obtained from the awesome Christy**

**SPOILERS FOR DELIRIUM**

Here is the Goodreads synopsis
I’m pushing aside the memory of my nightmare,
pushing aside thoughts of Alex,
pushing aside thoughts of Hana and my old school,
push,
push,
push,
like Raven taught me to do.
The old life is dead.
But the old Lena is dead too.
I buried her.
I left her beyond a fence,
behind a wall of smoke and flame.  
Lauren Oliver delivers an electrifying follow-up to her acclaimed New York Times bestseller, Delirium. This riveting, brilliant novel crackles with the fire of fierce defiance, forbidden romance, and the sparks of a revolution about to ignite. 
Lauren Oliver’s writing is beautiful. It has the ability to break you, make you cry and fall apart. It also has the ability to lift you, make your heart swell and fill you a thankfulness for being able to experience love. As humans the ability to experience love, and everything (including heartbreak) that comes with it is pretty amazing.

This novel was filled with action. Even more so than the first one. You will be on edge while reading this. The revolution is heating up, and you can feel the pressure on both sides. We’ve just scratched the surface of this conflict and I can’t wait to see what happens in book three.

Oh Julian, how I wanted to hate you. I did. I love Alex so much and wanted nothing to do with you. Lauren Oliver had to go and give him a heartbreaking story, and make him kind, sweet and likeable. The circumstances of his and Lena’s bond are rather sweet. I did feel it was kind of quick for Lena to move on after Alex, but this may be a result of my earlier resolve to dislike Julian.

The new characters we meet are all imperative to the story. The each add to Lena's story. Raven and Blue are two of my favourite characters from the new batch. You'll come to care about these characters as much as Lena does.
Reveals, more shocks and a stronger, even more determined Lena are all things that stood out in this novel. The novel jumps from "then" and "now" in alternate chapters. The "then" is Lena's beginnings in the Wilds, and it is interesting to see how the "then" impacts Lena's "now". I really felt it added to the story and provided a clearer picture of how Lena got to where she currently is.

The ending of Pandemonium will leave you stunned. With one word Lauren Oliver has managed to both devastate and heal you at the same time. So many emotions attached to one word and that is the beauty of Ms Oliver’s writing.

5 comments:

  1. Now I want to read Pandemonium more than ever! I cannot stomach Lena falling for anyone other than Alex either. It will take me a while to get used to it! I'm so glad this is as good as Delirium. I can't wait to read this! Must get a copy of Pandemonium ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  2. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Don't tell me Julian is likable! And that he will touch my heart! I don't want to hear it! *wails* Alex..... ;(

    And oh my gosh. This ending.... how can it both devastate and heal at the same time? I can't bear this wait any long. I NEED THIS BOOK NOOOW! Amazing review, Kathy! *fingers twitch toward a copy*

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Lauren Oliver has managed to both devastate and heal you at the same time" This is so very true, I definitely yelled at the end (and now am anxiously awaiting Requiem...) I have to admit I love Alex but felt a little something for Julian as well (still nothing like how I loved Alex though!) Great review!! I need to get my finished copy quick!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked Julian well enough, but I didn't LOVE him the way I love Alex. He was interesting though. That ending KILLED me! I have to not think about it, or it will make me crazy. I'm dying for the next book... Must we wait so long for it? Gah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just read and reviewed Pandemonium. You did an excellent job of this review and I love your last paragraph! I too thought Lena moved on rather quickly, it was only six months later, after all. I hope Requiem isn't the sad story that its title suggests.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...