Monday, November 21, 2011

Saving June by Hannah Harrington


Saving June by Hannah Harrington
Release Date – November 22, 2011
Publisher Website– Harlequin Teen
Publisher Social Media - Twitter
Pages - 336 pages
My Rating- 8/10
**obtained from Book Expo America and the publisher for an honest review**

Here is the Goodreads synopsis

When her older sister commits suicide and her divorcing parents decide to divide the ashes, Harper Scott takes her sister's urn to the one place June always wanted to go: California. On the road with her best friend, plus an intriguing guy with a mysterious connection to June, Harper discovers truths about her sister, herself and life.

Harper Scott’s life has been turned upside down. Her sister June has committed suicide. Her mother is dealing with June’s death by drinking, her father is more emotionally distant than ever, and Harper’s overbearing Aunt has taken to coming around more. Harper’s parents announce plans to split June’s ashes and Harper decides to take them to California to scatter in the ocean instead.

Thus begins a road trip that is filled with tears, laughs, surprises, fights, crushes, protests and lots of music. Harper is joined by her best friend Laney and a friend of June’s named Jake.

I really related to the characters. I felt the connections between the three of them. The banter and dialogue was perfect and didn’t feel awkward. It read like real teenagers talking.

It might be because I have had friends like Laney but I really enjoyed her. Reckless, impulsive, a little destructive, but so loyal, kind and outgoing. It might be because I could see a little of myself in Harper that I enjoyed her most of all.

This novel asks the question “how well do you really know someone?”. Harper looked at her sister as having her life totally together, as the perfect older sibling she could never live up to. It was a shock to find out that maybe she didn’t know June as well as she thought she did. It shows that appearances can be deceiving and you never know what is going on underneath.

The writing will have you laughing, crying, and experiencing many emotions in between. It flows well, and really allows you to connect with the characters.

We say goodbye to these characters on a hopeful and satisfying note. You feel ok leaving these characters when the story ends. You’re not left with any lingering questions, and while they may not be completely happy they are at least better off than when we met them.

The play lists at the back of the novel are a perfect touch. It made me want to go and listen to so many of these songs. Music was such a driving force in this novel that having the play lists just added something extra to the experience.

If you are a looking for a touching, realistic and bittersweet story this will certainly satisfy. I hope more people pick it up as I haven’t heard anyone talk about it much. It’s one I recommend.

4 comments:

  1. I am hoping to read this one soon, I have heard a lot of good things about it. Glad to see you liked it too- great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, Kathy!! Really happy that you enjoyed this as much as I did. Hannah Harrington is one author who I will definitely read anything else she writes. I really connected with the characters too and loved their banter!!

    Plus I added some new songs to my playlist thanks to this book :D Fantastic review <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been really curious about this book, but haven't picked it up because of it deals with suicide. I was kind of worried it might be a sad book. Glad to hear you enjoyed it! I'm definitely going to have to check it out now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. youve been reading some awesome looking books lately. Thanks for the reviews~!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...