Thursday, May 26, 2011

Torment by Lauren Kate


Torment by Lauren Kate
Release Date – September 28, 2010
Publisher – Delacorte
Pages - 452
My Rating- 7/10

Here is the Goodreads synopsis

Hell on earth. That's what it's like for Luce to be apart from her fallen angel boyfriend, Daniel. It took them an eternity to find one another, but now he has told her he must go away. Just long enough to hunt down the Outcasts - immortals who want to kill Luce. Daniel hides Luce at Shoreline, a school on the rocky California coast with unusually gifted students -Nephilim, the offspring of fallen angels and humans.

At Shoreline, Luce learns what the Shadows are, and how she can use them as windows to her previous lives. Yet the more Luce learns, the more she suspects that Daniel hasn't told her everything. He's hiding something - something dangerous. What if Daniel's version of the past isn't actually true? What if Luce is really meant to be with someone else? The second novel in the addictive FALLEN series . . . where love never dies

I had read and reviewed Fallen ( see that review here ) so I was very happy when my library had the second book available right away when I was done the first one.

This book takes place in a “school” Shoreline instead of Sword and Cross. The landscape and school are very different and it made for a nice change in the story. I loved the descriptions of the coastline and the water. It seems like a beautiful school to attend.

Luce in this book was more headstrong than in Fallen. She didn’t want to listen to anything Daniel asked her to do. She also put herself in danger quite a bit as a result of this. I like that she acted on her own and was not just listening to Daniel when he was giving her so little information, however she often just seemed to be doing it out of spite. I had a harder time liking her this time around. I did like that she was learning more about the Angel world and what her capabilities are. I am curious how strong she actually is, and what it means for her and Daniel’s love story.

Daniel remains Daniel. He doesn’t give Luce a lot of information as he is not able to. Since he is not in the book a whole lot we don’t really get to learn that much about him. I am hoping this does change in the 3rd book. I like him and would love to know more. Cam also remains as mysterious as in the previous book.

There are quite a few new characters that we meet in this novel. Miles and Shelby are the two that stood out. I love Miles. I think there is more to him than what was given away in this book. I also liked Shelby a lot and am looking forward to seeing her interact with Arriane (who continues to be awesome) in the next book.

I have to mention the one moment I really liked - Thanksgiving Dinner. It was the BEST.THANKSGIVING.EVER. It was so funny, awkward and unreal. It was a stand out moment in the book for me. It was nice to see everyone come together.

The end left on a cliff-hanger and it ended just when it was getting really interesting. I am looking forward to seeing how much Luce is able to find out in the next book and ultimately who she chooses - Daniel, Cam or even someone else!

This has nothing to do with the book itself, but the cover is really beautiful.

If you liked the first one, this one will leave you wanting even more.

4 comments:

  1. I JUST started Fallen! I'm so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Fallen earlier this year and liked it. Great review of Torment, hopefully I will get to read it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE Fallen and Torment! Can't wait for Passion. I agree that Luce was more headstrong this time around, but I loved it, even when it was for spite. I loved that she was thinking for herself and questioning her destiny with Daniel. We know they are going to be together, but I want it to be because she decides it for herself, not because Daniel has told her they are meant to be together, and not because of their past lives together either. I agree - we need more Daniel! Passion is supposed to be a prequel of sorts, so I'm hoping we get more information. The end of Torment definitely left me wanting more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! I am really looking forward to reading Passion when it's released. I need to re-read these before then. :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...