Monday, April 4, 2011

The Carrie Diaries - Candace Bushnell


The Carrie Diaries by Candace Bushnell
Release Date - April 27, 2011
Publisher - HarperCollins (HarperTeen)
Pages - 400
My Rating 7/10

Here is the GoodReads synopsis -

Before Carrie Bradshaw hit the big time in the City, she was a regular girl growing up in the suburbs of Connecticut. How did she turn into one of the most-read social observers of our generation?

The Carrie Diaries opens up in Carrie's senior year of high school. She and her best friends -- Walt, Lali, Maggie, and the Mouse -- are inseparable, amid the sea of Jens, Jocks and Jets. And then Sebastian Kydd comes into the picture. Sebastian is a bad boy-older, intriguing, and unpredictable. Carrie falls into the relationship that she was always supposed to have in high school-until a friend's betrayal makes her question everything. With her high school days coming to a close, Carrie will realize it's finally time to go after everything she ever wanted.

Rabid fans of Sex and the City will love seeing Carrie Bradshaw evolve from a regular girl into a sharp, insightful writer. They'll learn about her family background -- how she found her writing voice, and the indelible impression her early friendships and relationships left on her. We'll see what brings Carrie to her beloved New York City, where the next Carrie Diaries book will take place

I must start this review by giving the disclaimer that I am a huge fan of the TV show Sex and the City. I loved it, own all the season (the movies…errr….not so much). Carrie, Charlotte, Samantha and Miranda were all characters that I ended up loving and was sad to part with when the series ended. I picked up this book because of the fact I adored the series.

We first meet Carrie and I was happy to see that she was “Carrie” even as a teenager. Her character in this book fit what I pictured she would have been like as a teenager. It was nice to see some of her background story and see her work on her first newspaper column. It was great to see her take those first steps to become the “Carrie” from the series.

A few of her friends grew on me. I especially liked Walt and Mouse. However, some of the characters felt like stereotypes and not real, flushed out characters. It felt like some of them were put in the story only to fulfill a certain purpose and not because they were organic to the telling of the story.

The storyline and writing are pretty much what you would expect from the synopsis with very little surprises. There are also quite a few more mature elements to the story that would make it more suitable for older teens.

Without giving any spoilers away, the final pages of the book where we get the first reference to one of three other women we know and love from the Sex and the City series made me ecstatic. I was so excited to read that familiar name on the page and that makes me eager to pick up the second book. I have a feeling that the second one might delight TV show fans even more.

If you are a fan of the original TV series I would expect that you would enjoy this book. If you are not familiar with the series it could be a hit or miss.

1 comment:

  1. Ah! Prologues! I love em! I am not completely familiar with Carrie or the SATC crew, but know that they ruled the late 90's and early 2000's. A novel on the early years of the amazing Carrie would really add to who this character was that audiences grew to love.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...