Saturday, March 12, 2011

Cryer's Cross by Lisa McMann



Cryer’s Cross by Lisa McMann
Release Date – Feburary 8 2011
Publisher – Simon Pulse
Pages - 233
My Rating- 6.5/10
Here is the synopsis from GoodReads
The community of Cryer’s Cross, Montana (population 212) is distraught when high school freshman Tiffany disappears without a trace. Already off-balance due to her OCD, 16-year-old Kendall is freaked out seeing Tiffany’s empty desk in the one-room school house, but somehow life goes on... until Kendall's boyfriend Nico also disappears, and also without a trace. Now the town is in a panic. Alone in her depression and with her OCD at an all-time high, Kendall notices something that connects Nico and Tiffany: they both sat at the same desk. She knows it's crazy, but Kendall finds herself drawn to the desk, dreaming of Nico and wondering if maybe she, too, will disappear...and whether that would be so bad. Then she begins receiving graffiti messages on the desk from someone who can only be Nico. Can he possibly be alive somewhere? Where is he? And how can Kendall help him? The only person who believes her is Jacian, the new guy she finds irritating...and attractive. As Kendall and Jacian grow closer, Kendall digs deeper into Nico's mysterious disappearance only to stumble upon some ugly—and deadly—local history. Kendall is about to find out just how far the towns people will go to keep their secrets buried
I went into reading this book not really knowing what to expect. I had not read any of the author’s previous books so I was not aware of her writing style. I am not sure if her other books are the same style, but I am not sure if it’s for me.
This book was one that I neither liked nor disliked. Everything was just sort of middle ground for me. I liked the mystery aspect and was looking for more from it.

I did enjoy Kendall. The character provided a unique perspective due to her OCD. It’s not a perspective I had experienced in a novel before. I don’t have firsthand experience with OCD so I am not sure how accurate the portrayal was though.

I also enjoyed the romance between Kendall and Jacian. It was what saved this book for me. It was a sweet, innocent romance. I feel that romance was stronger than the mystery aspect of the novel.

The first half of the book felt slower than the second half. The second half is full of creepy, horrific things and sadly they are dealt with rather quickly at the end. I would have liked to go into more detail. It just felt like the novel was hitting the good part and then it was over.
I would recommend it if you are a fan of the author’s previous books. I am curious to see if her other books have the same writing style so I may eventually read another one of her books.

1 comment:

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...